This is a quick-fix dosa that feels special! Yes, we mean it. Although the Onion Rava Dosa does not require any grinding or fermentation, the resulting dosas are so tasty and crisp that you will find it difficult to stop eating.
The combination of rava and rice flour gives the dosas a special texture, while onions give it a nice succulent crunch. A tempering of cumin seeds, curry leaves and other ingredients boosts the taste and aroma of the Onion Rava Dosa, making sure everybody is at the table even before you announce the meal!
Serve these dosas right off the tava with sambhar and chutney. Have a go at other dosa treats like the Onion Tomato Rava Uttapa and the Upma Dosa .
Onion Rava Dosa recipe - How to make Onion Rava Dosa
- Combine the semolina, rice flour, baking soda, salt and 3 cups of water in a deep bowl, mix well using a whisk. Keep aside.
- Add the onions and mix well. Keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a small non-stick pan, add the cumin seeds, curry leaves, green chillies, asafoetida, and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add this tempering and coconut to the rice-semolina mixture and mix well.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and grease it lightly with oil and sprinkle little water on it and wipe it off gently using a muslin cloth.
- Pour ½ cup batter evenly on the tava (griddle), smear a 1 tsp of oil in the holes of the dosa and cook it on a high flame till it turns golden brown in colour.
- Fold over to make a semi-circle or a roll.
- Repeat with the remaining batter to make 9 more onion rava dosas.
- Serve immediately with sambhar and coconut chutney.